*** FULLY BOOKED *** - A Thematic Approach to Teaching Local History - 23SU02
History is concerned with studying the political, cultural, social and economic structures of the past; it is not about memorising facts or the ability to recite dates. More importantly, it analyses trends and asks, why did these events happen in this particular way? Exploring the hidden histories of County Longford, learning can be fun whilst active. A key feature of this course is its exploration of the Longford countryside introducing you to a series of local tours which you can bring your own pupils on. If interested in Local History and learning more about County Longford then this is the course for you.
We will gather on Day 1 at Loughrynn Castle (N41 WE16) for a quick briefing and make our way out to Drumlish. Gathering will commence at 09.15am
Day 1: An indebt look at Lough Rynn House Mohill, Co. Leitrim and its connections to Co. Longford and the local area. Guest speaker on the day, Kim Taylor (local historian)
Day 2: Strokestown House: Here we will do the famine walk, learn about the house itself and learn more about the walk from Strokestown to Longford.
Day 3: Rathcroghan and Queen Meabh. The Tain Trail through Longford.
Day 4: Kilbixy near Rathowen and its connections to Maria Edgeworth and Castle Rackrent, the novel penned by Maria Edgeworth.
Day 5: Requiem for the Big House. Exploring the economic benefits of the big house and the effects of its decline. (Melview National School, Longford)
To enrol on any of our courses: -
Step 1: To book a place on any of our summer courses teachers must be registered on our website www.carrickedcentre.ie
Step 2: Log in and use our online booking system.
Note: Closing date for registration on all courses is 3pm on Friday 16th June 2023.
Important Points to Note for Participants of our Face-to-Face Summer Courses 2023
- All courses run from 9.30am-2.00pm every day.
- A minimum number of participants is required in order for a course to proceed. Maximum capacity is 25 on face-to-face summer courses.
- Full attendance is required to be awarded 3 EPV days.
- 2 EPV days will be awarded for 4 days attendance.
- 1 EPV day will be awarded for 3 days attendance. (Regardless of the reason for the absence).
- No EPV days will be awarded for less than 3 days attendance.
- Lunch break is from 11.30-12.00 each day. Participants should bring their own packed lunch each day as lunch is NOT provided. Tea/Coffee is not provided either so participants should bring their own.
All our summer courses are booked on the condition that the course fee is non-refundable. Course Fees are not transferrable to another teacher. Unfortunately, if you wish to cancel your place on one of our courses or you are unable to attend the course, we are not in a position to refund fees. The course fee can only be refunded if the Education Centre cancels the course.
|Course Date||03-07-2023 9:30 am|
|Course End Date||07-07-2023 2:00 pm|
|Cut off date||16-06-2023 3:00 pm|
|Facilitator||Adrian Scollan & Eamonn Brennan|