Carrick on Shannon Education Centre is located in Marymount. St. Brigid's or the Red Brick Building as it was familiarly known was built in 1940/1941 and was used as a Novitiate for the Marist Sisters. The Novitiate continued in Carrick on Shannon until 1975 when it was transferred to England. The Building was then used as an extension to Marymount Secondary School . The Building continued to be used for this purpose until 1994 when the Community School came into existence. It was acquired by the Department of Education for adoption as an Education Centre in 1996. Carrick on Shannon Education Centre serves the primary and post primary schools in Leitrim and a majority of the schools in counties Longford and Roscommon. The remainder of the Longford and Roscommon schools are served by Athlone Education Centre. The centre provides training, development and support for teachers and the wider school community.